Skip to main content

PRACTICE- PROFESSIONAL ONLINE SOCIAL NETWORKS


PRACTICE - Professional Online Social Networks
Teaching Visual Arts requires a predominate use of visual mostly from the media apart from books and catalogues. The vast amounts of digital resources has grown in the last decade with every possible information being available at our finger tips. This is also equally accessible by the learners and hence a common platform became necessary that could be shared with me and my students. As creative thought can just not only happen in the classroom but in places that are beyond class/school time.

My use of Facebook as a social network for my design student’s remains as the most inspiring and affective form of communication to learn. The exchange of ideas and the timely sharing of resources has been a very significant form of learning in both our learnings. It was beneficial to my learners as they found timely help with ideas outside school hours. As FB is the most common social networking system, it has become easy to reach my learners to pass a quick inspiring idea or concept that they could use in their projects. I also keep my resources ready in the classroom to show the students when they knock the dead ends or are struggling to get creative ideas. The advantage of FB is that most of the artists post their work in their profiles and it is easier to find the images on one platform. And also that there is every possibility for the learners to interact with them directly, which could be a very socially constructive learning as mentioned by Kathy Cassidy’s video (2013). Twitter and snap chat are the other networking platforms my students use but I did not see much use of it as the possibility to share pictures with resources and other contacts was not convenient.

The challenges I see is when our other side of social lives are exposed or are viewable. However, with the provision of setting my privacy restrictions has helped me to control any unnecessary ethical dilemmas. This would also comply with the MOE Code of ethical Practice. To me it has been easier as I use FB mostly for professional purposes and I have a very minimum personal content in it. Unfortunately, our school policy doesn’t permit the use of Facebook until I made numerous request for it to be accessible to the teachers at least. I think there are not many teachers in our school who use FB as a teaching resource in the classroom. Seaman and Tini-Kane (2013), consider this as an innovative pedagogy and think that the use of social media in classrooms will increase in the future but may continue only after some fundamental changes take place in terms of the privacy and integrity submissions.

For me Facebook has been a very useful professional development platform as I connect to my international institutes, artists, organizations and forums. I run two professional online groups and follow around 20 groups on FB.
1.    PAT


2.    MBC Art Maniaks


This had not only connected me too widely with international professionals but has also provided absolutely significant resources to my practice and to my students. There were instances where I even connected my learners to individual artists and designers across the globe. I was able to share their work with my students and this has provided a contemporary insight into the work of others in different cultural contexts. The connections I made through Mindlab and the use of social networking that we as professionals have participated in has a huge positive impact on our professional development. The google plus has also connected us with wider NZ teachers and the learning has been an enriching experience.

Seaman, J., & Tinti-Kane, H. (2013). Social media for teaching and learning. Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved from http://www.onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/social-media-for-teaching-and-learning-2013-report.pdf

Kathy, C. (2013) Source: Tvoparents. (2013, May 21). Using Social Media in the Classroom.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riZStaz8Rno

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrated Arts Curriculum at School Level – A Cultural Perspective. Published in SCOPE: Contemporary Research Topic (Art & Design 5&6) 2010/11, New Zealand http://www.thescopes.org/art/issues.php?issue=5&title=art

Integrated Arts Curriculum at School Level – A Cultural Perspective This paper attempts to examine New Zealand arts education programmes, beginning with the primary through the secondary school curriculum, to search for the possibility of integrating the independent arts disciplines currently existing in the schools. A learner-centred interactive interdisciplinary pedagogy is intended to draw a paradigm for arts education that has two similar, yet different, integrating points of inception. One is rooted in the indigenous concept of the art form embedded in cultures like those of Africa and Asia, while the other is identified in the modern educational psychoanalytical theory of multiple intelligences proposed by Howard Gardener. Parallel kinds of integration are found in these two approaches – either between the disciplines or within an individual’s intellectual development. Interestingly, it is clear that these two approaches, integrated into a curriculum, would enable a disci

DUPPATI THINK TANK - ON EDUCATION PD-SHARING

DUPPATI’S THINK-TANK #26   Kia Ora Kautou, I hope you all have enjoyed reading/viewing the posts I have been sending so far in FF. I also hope it helped at least a few. Well, this is the last of the lot for this year and I am glad I have shared around 80 PD related links and info this year. I wish you all a fantastic holiday, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Cheers Na Mihi Nui The 5 Trends Shaping the Future of Work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhmHbDLM8o   The Digital Skills Gap and the Future of Jobs 2020 - The Fundamental Growth Mindset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9FOyoS3Fag   What will future jobs look like? | Andrew McAfee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQrbxD9_Ng DUPPATI’S THINK-TANK #25 Global trends: The Paradox of Progress We are living a paradox: The achievements of the industrial and information ages are shaping a world to come that is both more dangerous and richer with opportunity than ever before. Whether promise or peril p

MY PROFESSIONAL CONTEXT

Marlborough Boys College is located in a rural region with is surrounded by farmlands and vineyards. The local businesses cater to this community, which comprises of minimum commercial outlets in the center of the city. As per the school statistics, the community is made up of diverse cultural groups with approximately around 30% being non-pakeha. This percentage is shared by Maori, Pasifika, Asian and other European cultures with Maori being the highest. The socio-economic status of the whanau is at its extreme with high-income group one hand and the low on the other. The disparity between the income groups is wide and the aspirations and expectations reflect the student’s choices and interest in a subject. This is evident in the pathways the student chooses. However, it is interesting to note that majority of the students from a low-income group are either from a Maori community or are immigrants from Pacific islands. My analysis of parent’s interest’s levels and students aspiration